Recognizing the need to critically transform museums, Fwd: Museums strives to create a space for challenging, critiquing, and imagining alternative modes of thinking and production within and outside of museums. This journal is produced by the University of Illinois at Chicago’s Museum and Exhibition Studies Program.
In response to the 2016 election and its immediate aftermath, the theme of our third issue is “alien.” What does it mean to be “alien”? How can we unpack the term “alien” in the context of museums and cultural institutions?
Call for Submissions “Alien” 2018
Submission topics may include, but are not limited to:
· Museums as sites of social and political resistance
· Museums as sanctuary spaces
· The politics of representation
· Investigating the ways objects are labelled within collections
· Issues of repatriation of cultural heritage
· Community engagement/detachment
· Examples of resistance in digital spaces
· Alienated labor
· Othering of marginalized groups
· Queering museum spaces
· Experiences of alienation as a visitor
Fwd: Museums invites academic articles, essays, exhibition/book reviews, artwork, creative writing, experimental forms, and interviews. All submissions should follow the guidelines and relate to the journal’s mission statement. We strongly encourage reviews and interviews and require all other submissions to connect to the third issue’s theme, “alien.” Scholars, artists, practitioners, and activists from all fields are welcome to submit.
– Deadline: January 5, 2018 by 11:59 pm (CT)
– Writing: Chicago style (footnotes and bibliography) English manuscripts of up to 2,500 words (with exhibition/book reviews up to 1,000 words, and interviews/profiles up to 1,500 words) as .doc, .docx, or .rtf files. There is no minimum word count. Submissions that exceed our word counts will not be considered. Manuscripts written in languages other than English may be considered.
– Visuals: Low resolution B/W and color images of original artwork in TIFF or JPEG format. If your submission is selected, we will request high resolution images of 300 PPI at print size.
-Submission form click on here
Learn more about UIC MUSE:
Please email us at email@example.com for further inquiries. Visit our website https://fwdmuseumsjournal.wordpress.com/ for submission updates and more information on previous issues of Fwd: Museums.